Skip to content ↓

Biology

National 5 Biology

 Course Outline

In National 5 Biology pupils study three areas.

  1. Cell Biology
  2. Multicellular Organisms
  3. Life on Earth

Pupils will complete a research assignment, which assesses scientific skills and knowledge and understanding and accounts for 20% of their overall grade. The National 5 exam makes up the other 80% and is based primarily on knowledge and understanding, applying scientific inquiry, scientific analytical thinking and problem solving skills.

Exam Preparation

The National 5 Biology exam is comprised of Section 1 (out of 20 marks), which is multiple choice and Section 2 (out of 60). The exam is 2 hours in length. As the exam approaches, pupils should consolidate their knowledge using a range of revision strategies, such as mind maps, flash cards and summary notes. Pupils should also complete specimen and past paper questions and should work up to doing these under timed conditions.

SQA Past Papers

The link below will allow you to access past examination papers as well as specimen papers produced by the SQA. There are also marking schemes on this page.

SQA National 5 Biology Past Papers

Useful Websites

  • You can find an excellent electronic version of a textbook by Preston Lodge High School here.
  • The BBC website has an area for National 5 Biology here. This has revision notes and quizes on it.
  • This website (Oronsay) has some useful revision exercises.
  • There are some good summary notes by Hyndland Secondary School here.
  • There is a link to a useful problem solving booklet by Elgin Academy here.

Useful Textbooks

The following websites sell revision and course notes as well as past papers.

Higher Human Biology 

Course Outline

In Higher Human Biology pupils study four main areas:

  • Physiology and health (40 hours)
  • Neurobiology and communication (20 hours)
  • Immunology and Public Health (20 hours)

Exam Preparation

Pupils will complete a research assignment which assesses scientific inquiry skills and related knowledge and understanding and accounts for 20% of their overall grade. Candidates will also undertake a final SQA exam which makes up the other 80% and is based primarily on knowledge and understanding, applying scientific inquiry, scientific analytical thinking and problem solving skills. The assignment and the exam will both be externally assessed.

Useful Websites

The Scholar website has good summary notes and online tests. You can get your username and password from your teacher.

Useful Textbooks

The following websites sell revision and course notes as well as past papers. We have a sample copy in the department of most Biology textbooks and can offer individual advice on what the best option for each pupil may be.

SQA Past Papers

The link below will allow you to access past examination papers as well as specimen papers produced by the SQA. There are also marking schemes on this page.

SQA Higher Biology Past Papers

On Twitter

follow us on twitter

Get in touch

Address

Beeslack Community High School
Edinburgh Road
Penicuik
Midlothian
EH26 0QF

Phone

01968 678 060

Email

beeslack.hs@midlothian.gov.uk