Ms E Leonard
Miss H Campbell
Broad General Education
Students will study the following areas, with the focus on developing practical cookery and organisational skills.
- Keeping Safe and Hygienic
- Developing Healthy Choices
- The Journey of Food
- Nutritional Needs
- Food and Textile Technology
- The Food Experience – incorporating tasting, selecting, preparing and evaluating a range of food items appropriate to learning.
These courses involve a lot of practical cookery and tasting sessions for which we will require a contribution towards the cost of ingredients;
- S1 - £28 - students attend the department 2 periods per week
- S2 - £25 - students attend the department 1 period per week
- S3 - £45 - students attend the department 3 periods per week
Health and Food Technology – Higher
Hospitality – National 4 and 5
Fashion and Textile Technology – National 4 and 5
Early Education and Child Care – Skills for Work - National 4 and 5
The Home Economics Department aim to develop pupils as individuals by:
- Helping pupils explore their health in a practical context, enhancing their potential to live a healthy lifestyle and make responsible choices about their diet and food.
- Build confidence through the development of practical food skills
- Prepare pupils for life after school by developing problem solving and decision making ability.
- To equip pupils with useful life skills - organisation, management of time, money and resources.
S4-6: National Qualifications
Higher Health & Food Technology
Students will have the chance to make a more detailed study of nutrition and the link to health, while also considering the food industry and food production.
Students will complete a technological project as part of their course work developing their own food product.
N5 Health & Food Technology
Students study the following three units building on their experiences during the broad general education.
- Food for Health
- Contemporary Food Issues
- Product Development
National 4 and 5 Hospitality – Practical Cookery
This course develops skills and techniques associated with food preparation while reinforcing safe and hygienic practices. Students study the following three units
- Cookery Skills, Techniques and Processes
- Understanding and Using Ingredients
- Organisational Skills for Cooking
- Added Value Unit (National 4 only) - Producing a Meal
- Practical Assessment set by SQA – National 5
This a very practical course for which we will require a contribution towards the cost of ingredients students will use: £65
Skills for Work – Early Education and Childcare National 4 and 5.
This course develops the skills, knowledge, and attitudes needed for work in early education and childcare sector.
Students study the following four units of work. There is no formal assessment at the end of this course. A pass is based on passing each unit of work.
- Child Development and Health
- Working in the Early Education and Childcare sector
- Care and Feeding of Children
This course has a practical element to it for which we will require a contribution towards the cost:£20 per school year.
Fashion and Textiles